Welcome to the Heart of Darkness Webquest!
- First, become familiar with one type of literary criticism.
- Second, use this critical approach to interpret passages from Heart of Darkness. In other words, you must read these passages as a historical or psychoanalytical critic!
To achieve these tasks, you will follow Marlow up the Congo River. Along the way you will be reading important excerpts from Heart of Darkness and posting your critical interpretations to Edmodo.
Follow the modules carefully. They tell you what to complete each week.
- The first thing you will need to do is determine what type of literary scholar you will be. Do this by clicking on the Criticisms button and examining the links.
- After you have explored and chosen one critical approach, be sure to answer the corresponding questions below the listed links.
- Then click on the To the docks button. This will take you to the first of five destinations. At each destination, you will read an excerpt from Heart of Darkness and write a response. Each response must be at least 150 words and be supported by at least two direct quotes from the text.
- Most importantly, remember that your goal is to read and react to each passage as a psychoanalytical or post-colonial critic. Ask yourself, "How would this sort of critic read this passage? What would he or she find important?"
- When you are ready, return to the module on Edmodo and turn in your response.
- At some point this month, you need to view on your own (or rent from Ms. Cafarelli) one of the two supplemental DVDs. Consider buddying up with a friend from class to view! Remember: these films are both adaptations of the Vietnam war, they are rated R for a reason: content and language. ***SPRING 2014 STUDENTS ARE NOT COMPLETING THE FILM ANALYSIS!!!!!